Friday, June 15

SUP with Thomas

 Thomas and Michael after paddling
.
Just about every Friday morning I go Standup Paddleboarding on the local lagoon, usually with a friend or two.  It's only an hour but I find it so relaxing and fun at the same time.  With our lives so busy these days, it's nice to take that hour to enjoy the simplicity of this sport, the quiet on the lagoon and breathing in some ocean air.  It's an activity I look forward to. 

Due to the move, I thought the last time I went out would be my last time.  However, my friend asked if I couldn't just possibly go out one more time so I suggested we take our boys (they are both already out of school for the summer) and she was game.  Well, maybe not entirely game, but she was willing to give it a shot.

The boys had a great time!  Thomas really enjoyed it.  We shared a board and I had him sit in front of me while I paddled.  He kept asking me if he could stand up and when he could have a turn.  I wanted him to try so we paddled over to a beach.  I hopped off and he stood up and started paddling.  He didn't go far from shore and I walked alongside him the whole way (water up to my knees), but he was doing it!  I could feel the board move when he paddled so I know he was really working.  When we returned to the club he wanted to do it a little more so I pushed him out a few feet so he could paddle to shore a couple of times.  Afterwards he said he really enjoyed it, would like to do it again, and wants to learn how to surf.  What a fun kid! 


 

No comments: