Wednesday, July 2

art gallery

Late this afternoon we were at the library so Thomas could give his "book report" and decided to step into the art gallery adjacent to the main library (but part of the library complex) to take a look. I hadn't taken the kids into an art gallery before and thought this small, one room gallery would be a great first experience. Before entering we talked about appropriate gallery behavior and I reminded both several times that we do not touch anything and we keep our voices down...
.
The exhibition featured a local metal sculptor and included more than 40 pieces of his work. All quite industrial and simple in form, but beautiful and interesting just the same. And all were things that looked like great fun to touch or drive Hot Wheels cars on. However, Thomas did a great job standing over them and looking and talking but never touching. Until the last, large piece that hung on the wall. He raised his foot to step on it (the form was similar to a street lamp with a large base) and both myself and the curator gasped. I guess it was a little loud and it definitely echoed in this small space which scared him so that was the end of our art gallery visit.
.
Between Mr. Active I-want-to-climb-up-on-and-jump-off-of-everything Boy and Miss Shrieking I-love-to-hear-myself and I'll do whatever I want because I'm a princess and being a princess is hard work Girl, it may be awhile before we go back. Not a long while, but a little while.

No comments: