Tuesday, March 25

marketing aimed at Thomas

Thomas spotted these Cars swim trunks on a boy over the weekend at the beach and quickly said, "I wish I could have some of these sometime." That's his new phrase - "I wish I could..." We hadn't bought him much with any sort of licensed character on it until just recently. The marketing targeted at kids is so strong and it's on everything. A few weeks ago I bought "cowboy cheese" (character from the movie Toy Story is on the packaging), "Curious George snacks" and "Dora cereal" (on the Kix packaging) at the grocery store. It feels like a losing battle, esp. when I hear myself say to Thomas, "Eat your cereal. Dora likes that cereal, too." And yesterday, I bought him these swim trunks when he spotted them at Target. He loves them. I hate to admit it, but they are growing on me... (it's the darn graphics!)

Thomas is beginning to look like an island boy. All of us are getting pretty tan down here. I've been religiously applying sunblock on myself and the kids but there's no getting away from the sun. My brothers both get pretty dark by the end of an Oregon summer and it sort of looks like Thomas may also tan very easily and quickly.

2 comments:

Trina Rae said...

Us pastey-whites up North are envious... :-)

Melissa said...

I was interested to read your blog. As a parent you may be interested in being part of a university study I'm involved with. It’s about how infants and children develop. It wouldn’t take much of your time, and it’s a great way to contribute to knowledge by reporting on your own experiences. For more details go to the following address after copying it into your browser window, www.babyplaystudy.org. Best wishes,Melissa