Monday, September 10

perfect children (today anyway!)

WARNING: A happy mama had a really nice morning with her two young children. You may want to skip this post if reading such tales causes your eyes to roll or makes you mutter under your breath "Just wait until next time..." as these tales do me when they aren't my own.
.
The local library's storytime has resumed so this morning I took the kids. I have to admit I was a little nervous after last week's music class. It was the first class of the term and Meredith's first "class" environment. Both kids enjoyed the first half, but the second half we spent in the empty classroom next door. I think it was just too loud and unfamiliar for her and though our friends Shannon and Kaitlin are taking the class with us, Thomas didn't want to sit in the room without me. Fast forward to today...
.
It was beautiful! Thomas participated! He sat in the first row, directly in front of the librarian when she read books. In a room of about a dozen others, he was the only one to sit still and quietly for each of the three books. There was no running back and forth or rolling around on the floor. And during the dancing part, he danced! He also waited patiently after storytime to receive his stamps from the librarian. There was no pushing or cutting in front of others. And before we left? He said "Thank you, Marcie" and gave her a hug.
.
And Meredith? She sat on my lap and smiled at everyone! The woman next to me commented on how much Meredith was paying attention during the stories. She really was! Her only cry was very brief and only because I had laid her down. She wanted to sit on my lap the whole time. I think this little girl is going to give her big brother a run for his money very soon. Not only was she the perfect baby all morning, but she also rolled from her back to her tummy! Thomas' latest library book - a Curious George book - was just too interesting to her, I guess. Simply amazing!
.
I'm pretty sure next week will be a completely different experience, but today's made this mama very pleased. And relieved.

No comments: