Saturday, January 21

race weekend

 
This weekend is the Carlsbad Marathon & Half Marathon.  That race is tomorrow and I'll be running the half marathon this year.  Today, the race held their annual Kids Marathon Mile at Legoland.  Three years ago Thomas participated for the first time.  It was a run-walk routine for him that year and took over 20 minutes to finish the course.  For various reasons we didn't have an opportunity to participate again until this year.  Meredith decided at the last minute to do it, too, so I took both kids this morning to Legoland for their races.  The race start/finish are outside the park but 90% of the race is around the outer loop inside Legoland.  The kids are grouped by age but we (and another friend and her two boys) all got in with the 6 year old group this year.  Unfortunately it was a very wet and stormy day, but the kids didn't let that damper their spirits.  I brought garbage bags for them to wear until the race start and my friend had umbrellas (and a husband who held them at the finish while we raced).  Thomas and Kyan (her 7yo boy) both took off right from the start.  I could see Thomas up ahead for almost the first half and then I lost sight of him.  Helen ran with her 5yo son, Blake, while I ran with Meredith.  She did GREAT!  There were a few brief stops to walk but they lasted 3 to 5 seconds, at the most.  One spectator called her speedy and when she crossed the finish line in 13 minutes flat, I had to agree.  Thomas estimated he finished 4 minutes before her, giving him a 9 minute finish.  I suspect that wasn't quite accurate but we'll let him believe that.  All four kids did such a great job this morning!  No complaints while waiting in the rain for their race to start, no complaints while running a full mile and nothing but smiles at the finish line.  I love that my kids enjoy running!     

No comments: