Wednesday, April 7

Open Gym

Summer is rapidly approaching and, with that, so much talk these days about which summer camps to sign the kids up for (if at all). The last two summers Thomas has spent in summer school, but with him off to Kindergarten in the fall it doesn't feel right to have him do summer (pre)school this year. And I'm just not quite ready to send Meredith off to summer school yet either.
.
We're still a few months away from summer, but everything worthwhile fills up so quickly down here that you really have to be early to get in. This morning I signed Thomas up for a one week camp in August. It'll be with a couple of pals and I think he'll really enjoy the active camp for a change. It's superhero-based so I really can't go wrong there for him. I'm still weighing the other options.
.
For Meredith, I thought this one day a week gym class/preschool thing would be a good thing. This morning we attended an Open Gym session at the gym and got to see the gym/preschool thing firsthand. I wasn't impressed. The kids looked uninterested and, quite frankly, the women running it didn't look interested in it either. That was disappointing. I'll need to do some more looking around for her.
.
Summer camps just aren't what they used to be. I remember going to summer camps/schools and learning things like playing the oboe, taking a drama class, advanced math... Today, these kids have opportunities to do and try anything. Every establishment has some sort of summer camp (the San Diego Zoo's offerings look awesome!), the cities have great programs, the Y, my own gym has summer camps... It's a bit overwhelming, really. And I don't want them booked back to back at this age but summer is a great time to try new things. Looking at all these offerings available, I wish I could go to summer camp!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

logan is doing 3 science camps and gymnastics so far. Gonna try to get him into swim lessons but he isn't convinced yet.