Wednesday, August 5

the Oregon Garden

The Oregon Garden in Silverton, Oregon has been on my list of places to visit ever since it opened some nine or ten years ago. Today we enjoyed a day in the garden with Grandma -- exploring, touching, smelling, listening and seeing all the beauty that makes up this garden. There are many different gardens within this park, all a little bit different and each possessing some unique plants, sculptures, water features, etc. From one garden, the visitor is afforded peek-a-boo glimpses into adjacent gardens. I found myself enjoying one garden but anxious to get to the next because of the sneak peeks I got. Grandma and I loved the garden, both from walking through it and later during a tram ride around the park. The kids enjoyed exploring the "kid-friendly garden" the most but also just loved running to the next fountain or down this path or over to the next sculpture... A very fun day for us all!
.
The kids were tired from all the walking so we skipped visiting the city of Silverton, but it's on my list of places to return to. Many new restaurants and shops have opened in the historic downtown area and it'd be fun to wander through them. A glass of wine on a restaurant's deck that overlooks Silver Creek far below would be a wonderful way to end a day in Silverton!
Thomas' favorite drinking fountain (a slug) ~ the "rain curtain"
.

the "hobbit house" ~ my favorite (a gate in the children's garden)

1 comment:

Trina Rae said...

I've been wanting to go there for a long time. Can't get Rick to drive that far... Maybe soon.