Sunday, April 29

the cheerleader

Before I knew which weekend the Cub Scouts would be camping, I had contacted the La Jolla Half Marathon event director inquiring about volunteer opportunities.  It's something I've always wanted to do and since I hadn't planned to run the event this year, I figured now was a good time.  However, later I learned the race was happening the same weekend as Thomas' camping weekend so I had to pass.  I decided we should still cheer for our friends running.  This morning Meredith and I stood along the course (in two different locations) and cheered for the runners.  We saw my friends, we got lots of attention and cheers and we had a lot of fun.  Greta came, too, making it a girls' morning for us!  Meredith shook her pom poms, cheered and received a high five.  I had printed out a Bingo card (spaces are things like: runner in a tutu, barefoot runner, excessively hairy runner, etc.) that I taped to the back of our sign.  It gave us something to do and things to look for towards the end when her interest was waning.  Overall, a very enjoyable morning!  It was fun to be on the sidelines looking in.

No comments: