Monday, March 16

3 year old chatter

1- Thomas often says things that cause me to pause. And, sometimes, even close my eyes and take a deep breath. This morning we were rushing to get out the door and meet up with his preschool classmates at the beach when he looked at me and calmly said, "Don't worry. We'll get there." Well said for such a little guy.
.
2- A few weeks ago I asked if he wanted to go to a local nursery with me to look for plants and pots. His response was, "Well, okay... if you think you can find it." He was referring to the weekend before when the whole family was in the car and I thought I knew where we were going since I had looked it up online, but I didn't.
.
3- This weekend Thomas decided he'd like to try wearing boxers instead of briefs. I had just purchased some new briefs so this morning we stopped at the store to exchange them for boxers. Upon leaving the store and after telling me how much he loved his new boxers he said, "Maybe when Meredith is three and a half we can give her my underwear. Or we can buy her Princess underwear. I don't know which one she will want." He's always thinking about his little sister, even when it comes to underwear he can no longer wear.
.
4- He's really good at pointing out my shortcomings as a parent, too. Several months ago the kids and I were running errands and Meredith really wanted something in the car that I couldn't give to her because I was driving. I became irritated after repeating myself numerous times and finally just yelled at her. Thomas was quick to jump in and very matter-of-factly state, "You don't have to yell at her, mom. Just tell her what you want and she'll listen." Nothing like a 3 year old telling you how to be a better mother.

1 comment:

snoopy said...

Thomas is a very smart boy, and great big brother! Parenting is such a humbling experience, isn't it?