Monday, March 1

making bird feeders

cutting the bread and making the holes
.
Last week I had to remove two birds' nests from the deck off our master bedroom. Last year we let them nest in the eave and I dealt with it. But "dealing with it" meant dealing with my fear of birds every time I opened the slider to the deck, the bird poop all over the deck and even some bird poop on the patio down below. Ick. I couldn't let them get too comfy there again this year and since I had seen and heard the birds return, I knew I needed to act fast. So down the old nests came.
.
But after a few days I started to feel bad destroying their love nests so the kids and I are making amends. Two days ago we cut out some bread using cookie cutters, poked holes in them for stringing (hanging) and let them dry out. Tonight the family coated them in peanutbutter and covered them in bird feed. Tomorrow we'll hang the bird feeders up on our trees in the front yard. I don't know that it'll make the birds any happier, but I feel better about it and the kids enjoyed the project.



No comments: