Friday, November 21

why? why? why? why? why?


glimpses of Thomas in preschool
.
I have been asked no less than 100 times already today "why?". It's flat out exhausting. Like all preschoolers, Thomas is curious about everything and just wants to know things... which I love. I love the kinds of questions he asks, I love listening to him think through things aloud, I love the way he comes up with several alternatives or options to do or say things, I love that he wants to know everything about everything... but this mama gets tired of the endless questions. And so this afternoon after his 100+ question, I heard myself say "Please do not ask me any more questions. I love that you ask really good questions and want to know things, but please don't ask any more questions until after naps."
.
His response was, of course, "Why?"

3 comments:

Cory said...

Ha! Recently I told Eve "you know, we're just going to observe and think for awhile instead of asking 'why' for awhile".

Trina Rae said...

Ah yes, we've been suffering through this one for awhile now. The big one now is: "why is it raining". We say, "because it is Fall. It rains a lot in the Fall." Secretly thinking, the rain will stop in July. But then, of course now there also is: "why ISN'T it raining?" Ugh.

The McAuleys said...

Same torture here at our house. I swear she can ask it about every answer to the initial question until we've gone through about 15 whys and I run away trying not to scream. So hard when you want to encourage curiosity and inquiry but they're driving you nuts!