Monday, August 11

first dental visits

For various reasons, Thomas had his first dental appointment today. I was a little concerned that we had waited too long to take him, but everything went very well and his teeth and gums are healthy and look great. Before his appointment I explained that he'd have to keep his mouth open when the dentist asked him. He ended up keeping his mouth halfway open nearly the entire 30 minutes we were in the dental office. So funny! When the 4 year old boy next door started screaming and crying, I worried Thomas would also become frightened but he didn't. He didn't mind any of the cleaning, flossing, fluoride... such a trooper. I know from experience that the first visit is usually very smooth for Thomas, it's the second or third visit when he knows what to expect that are questionable. We'll hope for the same good visit in 6 months!
.
Since we were there and I had the two kids, Meredith also hopped up into the chair for a little look. She was not as happy about her 2 minute checkup, but walked out of there smiling and clutching her little goodie bag of toothbrush, floss, stickers, etc.
.
Note: The hygieniest said it was great for me to take photos and parents do it all the time, so why is she giving me the middle finger...??

3 comments:

The McAuleys said...

My dad's a dentist and he said it's ridiculous to take them before they are 3 if you are doing fluoride and brushing their teeth. My dentist agreed. So you're perfect. :)

cherl said...

Thanks for the reassurance!

snoopy said...

Embarrassingly enough, I still haven't taken Yoshimi to the dentist for a cleaning/checkup. I better get on that.