Tuesday, December 12

child-friendly establishments

Over the last few weeks, Thomas and I have been exploring some of the child-friendly food establishments offered in our city. We've been to coffeeshops and restaurants, both downtown and outside the downtown area, with various groups of other mamas and toddlers. What these places all have in common is some sort of "play area" for young children. In the coffeeshops, the play areas have ranged from a small table and chairs with a small box of toys to an entire room that is carpeted and full of toys. We have found pretty much the same at child-friendly restaurants. Our trips have not included fast food joints like McDonald's or Burger King and their enormous ball pit/play apparatus things.

I have mixed feelings about these sorts of establishments which I'm sure will change (or work themselves out?) over time. I have no hang-ups with coffeeshops because to me it's like being in someone's house. The adults are enjoying coffee, snacks and conversation while the children play. But restaurants? It seems to me that children should learn to behave in restaurants and to eat a meal while there. I don't understand why playing has become associated with eating. Aren't we doing our children a disservice by blurring the line between these two activities?

It just strikes me as odd and not a concept I'm entirely comfortable with (of course, I did stop into a Chuck E. Cheese last summer so maybe I am a little okay with the idea). As all things seem to do, I'm sure my opinion regarding these child-friendly restaurants will change when there's a second baby and I'm desperate for a quiet meal and Thomas only wants to play. I'll be the one sitting in the corner at Burger King eating a Value Meal (is this what they are called?) and asking my son to come finish his Happy Meal (huh?...again, I'm clueless) repeatedly for the 20 minutes I am there. Or is it an hour?

No comments: