Wednesday, November 2

Book Club

Wednesdays are a full day for Thomas.  After school he goes straight to Science Club and then I pick him up and we go to the library for Book Club.  His Book Club is called All Star Readers and they meet once a week to talk about a different genre.  The librarian reads a sample book and they talk about it afterwards.  It's a small group, mainly boys, in grades 1 thru 3.  Each week he logs his reading time and during Book Club he receives a small reward (he thinks it's for reading, it's really just for coming).  The Book Club is right up his alley.  He loves the Science and Book Clubs so although it's a long day (and he's clearly tired), we've been doing both.  It makes his Wednesday start with school at 8:20 and end after Book Club at 4:30pm.  Wow! 

Meredith and I will look at books while he's in Book Club.  Sometimes she'll look at books with another little girl, Avery, who comes to the library at the same time every week with her Grandmother.  The Grandmother once told me that I've done a very good job with my children.  "You speak softly to them.  It's very good.  Don't stop."  I like her.

After Book Club we'll look for some books to check out and/or do a little homework.  Today Thomas did a little homework so I suggested to Meredith that she copy words from a book of her choice.  She enjoyed this activity so much that she brought the book home and continued the activity until dinner.  I love how much they both enjoy learning.

No comments: