Tuesday, January 4

a walk with the kids

A simple walk with all four kids is challenging, to say the least. One dog pulls to the left, the other pulls to the right... Thomas skips ahead, Meredith lags behind... then one dog catches a scent and jerks me her direction... Thomas runs back to us, only to get tangled in a leash... then one dog poops and I fumble around for a baggie to pick it up... and the baggie goes into my pocket because I don't have a free hand... and that's all on a sidewalk where a walk should be relatively easy. The trails are wet from recent rains. In some parts, it's muddy. All the above it still happening, only now I'm slipping and sliding on a muddy trail... sometimes the trail goes straight down, other times it goes straight up... mix in some uneven wood stairs, a couple of bridges, a yapping dog we pass... and two kids who suddenly have to go potty when we're 30 minutes from home and in the middle of a nature trail system. Oy. It's no wonder I don't do this every day. I should, but I don't. I'm just thankful for these little bits of the trail where no one else is around and the dogs and kids can run free. Of course, then I worry about snakes, coyotes... But on a beautiful, sunny day like today, the challenges are worth it.
.

No comments: