Wednesday, June 25

no "training" necessary

You know when you really dread something and you just put it off hoping that one day it'll go away or the problem will solve itself...? Potty training is one of those things. I sort of hoped that if I dragged my feet long enough then maybe Thomas would just potty train himself. It wouldn't surprise me given his personality.
.
Interest has been on and off again for the past year, but during our trip to Oregon recently he became interested again after watching his dad pee. Starting preschool this month has also helped. So, last Tuesday we put all the pull-ups away and brought out the underwear. A couple chants of "Underwear is fun to wear!", a little dancing around and lots of show & tell one afternoon ("Mommy, look! My penis is out.") and he's been doing great! I initially thought we'd continue with pull-ups during naps and bedtime, but he didn't want to wear them during naps. And he's woken up every morning (but one, and I know it's because he had a tall glass of milk right before bed) dry so we could probably do away with them at night, too. Only one accident early on and he's been using the toilet like a champ -- at our house, at a friend's house, public toilets and urinals... He's done it all and is doing fantastic! I knew if I waited long enough he'd figure it out himself. :)

No comments: