Thursday, June 19

book report

We signed up for the local library's summer reading program and were thrilled to learn it's very similar to the one we've done in Portland the last two summers. The difference? The child must be 3 years old and instead of simply noting that you've read a book the child has to give a "report" to a library volunteer. Sounds like a lot of pressure for some 3 year olds, right? I wasn't sure how it'd play out with Thomas, but today we visited the library so he could "report" his first book and he did very well.
.
The reporting process is all very organized and terribly cute. The volunteers are junior high kids and the girl he talked with thought he was the cutest thing ever [would it have been wrong of me to inquire about having her babysit them sometime...??]. He answered some of her questions with replies other than yes, no or I don't know, but in the end she only asked him yes or no questions. My hope is that by the end of the summer when asked a question by anyone and everyone his first response will not be I don't know. Maybe I should just be satisfied that he gives a response at all at this age since many don't? Who knows, but that's my goal in this exercise. His goal, I'm sure, is to earn all the fun rewards along the way.

No comments: