Friday, March 2

You're a big boy now!

Thomas is all smiles after hearing "You're a big boy now!"
.
Yesterday afternoon I put a pull-up diaper on Thomas for the first time. He's been telling me for a couple of months when he has a bowel movement and lately when he pees so I thought it might be a good time to try a pull-up. With a b.m., he immediately wants to be changed but after he tells me he has gone pee, he says "no" when I ask if he wants a diaper change. So I figured maybe because the diaper remains dry, he's still comfortable and doesn't want to change. The new pull-up, on the other hand, remains cool, wet and must be uncomfortable. Sure enough, an hour and a half after putting on the pull-up he told me he had gone pee and needed a change.
.
He generally tells me after the fact, but I know he understands the feeling of fullness and can hold it when he wants. Every night in the bathtub, he stands up and says "pee cup" so I grab the cup and he pees in it. He then directs me to pour it in the toilet and flush. He seems to understand all the parts and pieces, it's just a matter of putting it all together in order to make potty training a reality. He's still young and I'm not even sure that he's ready so I don't push it at this point, but a friend was telling me we should be taking advantage of any signs of interest because they'll pass and who knows when that interest will come up again.
.
If nothing else, I figure the pull-up will help me understand and see patterns so that I can then help him. After putting on the second pull-up yesterday, I praised him and told him he's a "big boy" now. He loved hearing that and repeated "big boy" a couple of times.

Thomas loves to wear his dad's hat

No comments: